15 Dec 2021
Can you help us support social entrepreneurs and trustees to fulfil their ambitions and achieve social impact throughout the North East?
We're now looking for a passionate, enthusiastic Investment Manager to help us actively manage the North East Social Investment Fund and raise the profile of social investment in the North East.
If you fit the bill (see the job specification below) and want to join our small, friendly, dedicated team please submit your CV and a covering letter (no more than two sides each) showing how you meet the specification for the role and why you want to work for us to NorthstarComms@northstarventures.co.uk
If you would like an informal chat about the role before you apply, then please contact:
• Naomi Allen 07590 446 580 email@example.com
• Paul Barrett 07508 056978 firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous applicants need not apply.
Job Specification - Investment Manager (Social Investment)
Northstar Ventures Limited is seeking to appoint a Social Investment Manager to help actively manage its Social Investment Fund and to assist on raising the social investment profile in the North East. Northstar covers the North East region which comprises Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham and the Tees Valley.
In addition, we are committed to supporting our community and The Northstar Foundation, a registered charity, has been set up to do this. Northstar is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Northstar currently has one Social Investment Fund:
• The £10.2m North East Social Investment Fund which invests between £100k and £1m in sustainable North East based Social Enterprises to increase their social impact locally.
The successful candidate will need to work as an integral part of a small team and actively support Northstar. They will need to build and maintain relationships within the sector and wider region, invest and manage investments from the current social fund. Additionally, they will need to be self-motivated and will need to actively develop new and existing networks of contacts within the social enterprise arena.
• Promote awareness of the Social Investment Fund to the North East Region, creating strong relationships with Voluntary, Charitable, and Social Enterprise sector (VCSE organisations) and their support networks to help build a pipeline of viable investment opportunities
• Lead on individual investment proposals from origination to legal completion and ongoing portfolio management
• Work with VCSE organisations to develop their social investment needs, provide advice and support, undertake due diligence and create repayable social investment opportunities, building agreeable cases for presentation to Investment Committee which balance financial risk and social impact
• Work with organisations to apply social impact measurement systems to provide evidence of change and to enable full reporting to stakeholders
• Support the strategic development of the Social Investment Fund
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with a number of VCSE organisations and sector support organisations:
Review and analyse financial and other key information within own portfolio:
Required Skills and Experience
• Educated to degree standard and/or equivalent experience
• Experience of the Banking/Finance sector and/or the Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise (VCSE) Sector in the North East of England
• A strong track record of lending, assessing financial data, and/or grant-making
• Strong financial analysis and appraisal skills and strong numeracy skills with knowledge and practical experience of interpreting financial information (e.g. balance sheets, profit & loss etc.) and of assessing risk
• A passion for supporting social enterprises, charities and community groups of all shapes and sizes and the ability to understand and empathise with a range of social issues and charitable activities
• A good understanding of impact-focussed social investment, including experience and understanding of measuring outcome and output performance within the VCSE sector
• Strong people skills with ability to work with a wide range of people including investees, applicants, external stakeholders and partner organisations
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to write reports and give impactful presentations to a range of different audiences
• Demonstrable commitment to working collaboratively internally and externally
• Excellent IT skills including familiarity with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, online communication tools
• Self-motivated, well-organised with the ability to adapt and work flexibly
• Ability to travel across the North East (when Covid-19 restrictions allow)??
• Commitment to offering an equality and diversity perspective in all aspects of the organisation’s objectives and activities