Do you have a thorough knowledge of and experience in the voluntary, charitable and social enterprise sector? Would you like to help innovative organisations become sustainable and increase their social impact?
We are looking for an enthusiastic Investment Manager to join our small, dedicated team - with great analytical and communications skills, and experience/ understanding of fundraising, business planning and measuring impact in the VCSE sector.
Take a look at the Job Specification below.
If you would like an informal chat about the role before you apply, then please contact:
• Alison Collins - 0191 229 2781, email@example.com or
• Julie Wake - 0191 229 2773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please call 0191 229 2783.
To apply: please submit your CV and a covering letter to NorthstarComms@northstarventures.co.uk by 5.50pm on 30 April 2020.
Job Specification - Investment Manager (Social Investment)
Northstar Ventures Limited is seeking to appoint a Social Investment Manager to help actively manage its Social Investment Fund and to assist on raising the social investment profile in the North East. Northstar covers the North East region which comprises Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham and the Tees Valley.
We are dedicated to providing social entrepreneurs and trustees with the support they need to fulfil their ambitions and to achieve social impact through our investments.
In addition, we are committed to supporting our community and The Northstar Foundation, a registered charity, has been set up to do this. Northstar is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Northstar currently has one Social Investment Fund:
- The £10.2m North East Social Investment Fund which invests between £100k and £1m in sustainable North East based Social Enterprises to increase their social impact within the North East.
Additionally, Northstar is currently investing another fund:
- The £27m Innovation Fund which invests between £50k and £500k in pre-start and / or existing scalable, innovative businesses throughout the North East of England.
The successful candidate will need to work as an integral part of a small team and actively support Northstar. They will need to build relationships within the sector and wider region, invest and manage investments from the current social fund and future social funds. Additionally, they will need to be self-motivated and will need to actively develop new and existing networks of contacts within the social enterprise arena.
- Promote awareness of the Social Investment Fund to the North East Region, creating strong relationships with Voluntary, Charitable, and Social Enterprise sector (VCSE organisations) and their support networks e.g. VONNE and Catalyst Stockton
- Work with organisations to apply social impact measurement systems to provide evidence of change and to enable full reporting to stakeholders
- Work with VCSE organisations to develop their social investment needs and create repayable social investment opportunities, building agreeable cases for presentation to Investment Committee
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with a number of VCSE organisations:
- Take responsibility for managing the VCSE relationship, including regular liaison.
- Demonstrate an understanding of each VCSE’s business.
- Demonstrate a sound level of judgement and outlook based on experience and knowledge of VCSE sector and a commercial focus and understanding of the impact investments can have on the VCSEs.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the public sector and the potential opportunities for social investment in public services, such as commissioning and spin outs.
- Prepare investment papers for new / additional investments.
- Review and analyse financial and other information within own portfolio.
- Monitor and review social outcome information across organisations within own portfolio
- Contribute to overall Social Investment Fund reports to stakeholders and contribute where necessary to presentations from time to time
- Monitor and review financial information for the portfolio
- Ensure all necessary administration is completed resulting from agreed actions (fees/capital payments)
- Monitor and action non-receipt of repayments and where appropriate make recommendations to Portfolio Committee for changes to agreed investments.
Required Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent.
- Experience of the Voluntary, Charitable and Social Enterprise sector.
- Experience and/or understanding of the public sector.
- Experience of fundraising, assessing grant applications, and /or assessing loan applications and business planning.
- Experience and understanding of measuring outcome and output performance within the VCSE sector.
- Analytical skills.
- Ability to work as an integral part of a small team.
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of people including investees, stakeholders and intermediaries.
- Familiarity with Word, PowerPoint, Excel.